We are looking for an experienced entrepreneurial CEO to lead a pre-clinical biotech venture focussed on effectively treating neonatal hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE).
The unmet need
Neonatal HIE is caused by a shortage of blood and oxygen supply to the brain around birth. The incidence of neonatal HIE is estimated to be 1.5/1,000 live births in high-income regions (global incidence 8.5/1,000 live births). Therapeutic hypothermia has improved survival and neurodevelopmental outcome in infants with moderate to severe neonatal HIE. However, many cooled infants are still suffering from life-long consequences, including cerebral palsy, cognitive deficits and epilepsy. Therefore, there is still an important clinical unmet need and therefore additional therapeutic strategies are needed to augment the neuroprotective effect of therapeutic hypothermia. Adjuvant therapies for neonatal HIE should particularly target the detrimental peripheral and neuroinflammatory response and the comprise of the blood-brain barrier (BBB) herein.
A research team at Maastricht University developed a new approach to treat neonatal HIE by restoring the integrity of the blood-brain barrier (BBB) with the recombinant protein Annexin A1, thereby limiting the neuroinflammatory response. Pre-clinical studies in multiple rodent and fetal sheep models provided proof of this concept and the project is now ready for further preclinical validation.
The Startup CEO will be responsible for developing and executing the overall business strategy, actively supported by NLC The Healthtech Venture Builder. Your main responsibilities will be:
- Define a detailed plan and strategy for further (pre)-clinical research, funding and partnerships;
- Successfully raise multimillion investments;
- Recruiting and managing a specialized drug development team
- Manage (the outsourcing of) the needed (pre)clinical studies and manufacturing;
- Investor relations: manage current and future investors;
- Prepare and initiate the exit strategy.
- Entrepreneurial drive;
- Networking and influencing at all levels of seniority;
- Excellent communication skills, particularly strong presentation and negotiation skills.
- Has experience with obtaining Orphan Drug Designation (EMA/FDA)
- Multi million fundraising experience
- Familiarity with early drug development of (endogenous) proteins is a pré
- Demonstrated track record of forming strategic partnerships. Active network of stakeholders
We offer the unique opportunity to an entrepreneur or executive with entrepreneurial ambition to come on board as a partner (essentially co-founder) in a highly promising venture and the chance of making a huge impact in this space. You will receive equity-based remuneration and accept tying initial cash compensation to successful funding of the company. Co-funding is stimulated.
For more information please contact Iselde van Beurden (Venture Teaming) via: